Considering the following facts:
- Those who believe in flat-Earth-related hoaxes are also prone to believe —and therefore spread— COVID-19 related hoaxes and conspiracy theories.
- Those of us who like to observe and interact with flat-Earthers are likely to encounter many COVID-19 hoaxes and conspiracy theories.
- And unlike flat Earth, COVID-19 hoaxes and conspiracy theories might directly affect our lives and even the future of the human race.
We feel it is important not to let our responses to backfire and fails to achieve the ideal outcome, which is the prevention of the circulation of COVID-19 related hoaxes and conspiracy theories.
- Avoid directly addressing the COVID-19 hoaxes and conspiracy theories yourselves, which potentially makes them more popular.
- Instead, report the hoaxes and conspiracy theories using the tools provided by the social media platform, or to an independent fact-checker in your country.
We wish everyone (including flat-Earthers) good health in these unfortunate times.
List of Some Independent Fact-Checkers
- List of fact-checking websites – Wikipedia
- Fact-Checking on Facebook: What Publishers Should Know – Facebook, scroll to the bottom for the email addresses of fact-checking organization used by Facebook.